If you are on a proposed route, you may be contacted soon by land agents representing RICL. They will be asking for permission to survey and will try to sell you on their contracts. This is their job! They get paid when YOU sign papers that are in the RICL’s best interest. NOT YOURS.
You do NOT have to talk to them or allow them access to your land for any reason until or IF they are granted public utility status. That is at least 1-2 years away. Sign, copy, and send in the Notice to Deny Right-of-Way to tell them not to contact you until they actually have the authority to do so.
Actual quotes from RICL's representatives:
Other favorite land agent quotes:
Do you have more priceless quotes to add? Contact us to add your gem to the list.
It is the land agent’s job to get you to sign the weakest and cheapest contract. The Land Agent Code of Conduct supposedly governs the conduct of the land agents. RICL reps have already disregarded their own rules.
DOCUMENT any conversations you have with RICL land agents or representatives. Tape recording is even better and was used to fight land agent lies in court in another transmission line battle.
VIOLATIONS of the Land Agent Code Of Conduct need to be reported to the Illinois Attorney General including their claiming in open houses that they would use “monopoles," or monopoles or lattice structures would be the “choice” of the landowner, or “they hadn’t yet applied to the ICC.”
Contact us for how.
DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING FROM THE Rock Island “Clean” Line.
There are KEY landowner protections that are not included in RICL’s contract, including:
If you see strange trucks and people around your property:
1. Politely ask their names, company and what they are doing. Ask for a business card or get the information in writing.
2. Respectfully tell them that they are not allowed on your property. Period.
3. Call authorities if they do not cooperate.
4. Notify Block RICL so that we can coordinate and fight problems together. Contact us.
4. File a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General if they do not comply. Contact us.